Re: [OM] [OT] In depth SUV scientific based analysis (was TotallyOT

Subject: Re: [OM] [OT] In depth SUV scientific based analysis (was TotallyOT
From: Andrew Fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 28 May 2011 08:41:40 +1000
You're right. Many people use the term to criticise an argument that forces the
answer that you want. That's really 'beg the answer' I suppose. In fact it is
circular reasoning where you confuse premises and conclusion -

Begging the question fallacy

Assuming the conclusion or part of the conclusion in the premises of an
argument. (Sometimes called circular reasoning.)

Examples:

“To cast abortion as a solely private moral question,…is to lose touch with
common sense: how human beings treat one another is practically the definition
of a public moral matter. Of course, there are many private aspects of human
relations, but the question whether one human being should be allowed fatally
to harm another is not one of them. Abortion is an inescapably public matter.”

 H.M. Alvaré

In this example, the conclusion that abortion is a public matter simply
restates an earlier premise. It is mere repetition rather than argument. The
argument can be restructured to reach the same point more legitimately.

Andrew Fildes
afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx