Re: [OM] (OM) OT words

Subject: Re: [OM] (OM) OT words
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 31 May 2011 09:19:05 -0500
> I think that loads of people get that sound wrong, probably because they
> don't take care to find out the right spelling and pronunciation.  Another
> word that is similarly corrupted is "homogeneous" (from which the second 'e'
> is commonly omitted); or "mischievous" (into which people -- northerners for
> the most part -- insert another, penultimate syllable using an 'i' or 'e').

I think this is another example of where the Americanisation of the
English Language is a good thing. Take the word "Aluminum" as an
example. The way the Brits way it hurts my ears. Do you honestly think
that the good folks down at the Alcoa headquarters say it that way?

Why do cars have bonnets? Pleeeeeease!

I suppose that those ancient ways of saying certain words is a way for
people to be able to speak while their noses are pointed up in the
air.

:)

AG