[OM] Forgot if I mentioned it...

Subject: [OM] Forgot if I mentioned it...
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 31 May 2011 10:00:20 -0500
Yesterday, I worked on the book some more we're now well over halfway on the
photos for it. With high winds, it was a challenge for some of the outdoor
shots. The windmill proved to be a big challenge and we discovered that
gaffers tape doesn't stick to pasteries nor to 150 year old shingles.

One set of pictures was taken from far up the windmill.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Vermeer_Mill.JPG

It may not look very big in this picture, but believe me, it is! With the
wind blowing as strong as it was, those blades were haulin the mail. During
wind gusts, the entire structure shook. I got to go up to the crown, but
chickened out partway up and attempted to get a couple interior shots
looking down through the gears and main shaft. It was a teeth-rattling boom
when they stopped the blades for me for a picture. Didn't help that I was up
a ways when then did it.

It helped that my co-author on this project is related to half of the town.
Her sister and husband manage the historical museum/village which includes
the windmill. The rest of the place is easily one of the best cultural
museums anywhere. And I mean ANYWHERE. There is a lot of wealth behind this
one and the significance of the artifacts is high.

I'm thankful for Photoshop. It will be a great excuse when certain
individuals see where we placed the pastries. We'll just say "We did a lot
of photoshopping of the pastries".  :)  Needless to say, at least two or
three of the spots were, uh, not quite where the currators would have
approved. Like climbing around on the roof of the Wyatt Earp home. I'm sure
somebody is going to wonder where the greasy letter-shaped mark on the
upstairs window came from. I also hope the crumbs in the street organ don't
bother it. The placement of a pastry in the miniture village will be sure to
get us permanently banned.

The OM-4T continued to earn its keep. The MD2 really makes it a stable
platform and the 35-80 proved to be, again, my go-to lens. Some shots were
done with the 24/2.8, but most were the 35-80.

My film budget is getting exceeded a little bit. Because we couldn't secure
the pastries in some places, we had to take three sets of shots. Without the
pastry, with the pastry held from one side and then a third being held from
the other. Photoshop to the rescue. With some of the locations, many frames
were required. I'm not going back up inside the windmill, for example, and
we're probably going to get a lifetime ban from ever stepping foot inside
the historical village again.

I have missed the chimping ability which digital affords, but the OM-4T, MD2
and 35-80 presents a far superior handling and of course, the image-quality
is rather unique these days. As my backup, in the bag was the OM-2S with
MD2, 24/2.8, 50/1.4, 100/2.8 and 300/4.5. Only needed the 24/2.8 as my
spare.

AG