Re: [OM] (OT) Toyota FJ (and first impressions)

Subject: Re: [OM] (OT) Toyota FJ (and first impressions)
From: "Bill Pearce" <billcpearce@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 31 May 2011 11:38:37 -0500
I must say that when I first saw the FJ, it seemed to be a product that was
uniquely aimed at the US market. Unlike camera companies, most Japanese car
manufacturers have US research and design offices, usually in the LA
vicinity where the car culture thrives. This allows them to point their
products to one of their largest markets. I believe that it was P T Barnum
that said, "no one ever went broke underestimating the taste of the US
consumer."

If aimed at the US market, it would have been developed with a petrol only
engine, as diesel fuel is more expensive than unleaded premium in most parts
of the US. Many countries where most cars are largely diesel have
governments that wisely saw to drive the business to diesel through tax
policies. Therefore, it won't get a big market elsewhere. You probably don't
get many Hummers there, either.

Bill Pearce