Re: [OM] Into the Light - from last week's portrait session

Subject: Re: [OM] Into the Light - from last week's portrait session
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 31 May 2011 17:30:04 -0400
Speaking of happy customers reminded me that this morning I was
searching for some info on white balancing using halogen bulbs.  I was
interested in the halogen spectrum.  I never did find what I was looking
for originally and gave it up as not very important.  But along the way
I chanced to run across a lament from a photographer who was trying to
shoot some wine bottles with a small sensor Canon.

He was complaining that his images were not sharp and the color wasn't
right.  Come to find out he was shooting at ISO 100 using f/18, handheld
at an unknown shutter speed and with some halogen lights for illumination.

Other photogs joined in and advised him that his shutter speed was
probably too slow, that he needed to get the camera on a tripod, that it
was OK to use ISO 200 or perhaps 400 if needed, that using halogen
lights would require a custom white balance and that at f/18 the small
sensor Canon was probably suffering from diffraction problems.

The next message thanked all who had helped out.  He had gotten a
tripod, increased the ISO to 200, opened the lens to some larger but
unstated aperture and had followed the instructions to create a custom
white balance.  Then the next line blew me over.  He ended by saying:
"The client is now happy".  :-)

Chuck Norcutt