Re: [OM] need advice on which iso 400 slide film

Subject: Re: [OM] need advice on which iso 400 slide film
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 31 May 2011 22:44:05 -0700
On 5/29/2011 7:47 AM, Fernando Gonzalez Gentile wrote:
> Thanks, Nathan. Now I see why ISO 400 film is seldom mentioned here ... and
> maybe the reason why Kodak doesn't manufacture a ISO 400 Ektachrome or
> EliteChrome any longer.
> Realized the latter after I had posted asking for advice.

I can see shooting film. I can maybe see shooting slow slide film for special
image characteristics, although I
personally prefer profiling to get accurate colors.

I entirely quit shooting slide film as soon as film scanning became available
and decent quality. With so many subjects,
slide film's limited dynamic range forced me to choose between losing
highlights or shadows. With color neg film, I have
a broader tonal range, both to allow capturing more and to give me a bit of
cushion for mistakes.

Try the Portra 400 or Fuji's equivalent. These are wonderful films with very
little grain, that scan very well,. And
I'll bet you can get them processed in Montevideo.

Moose