[OM] (OM) How photography has changed

Subject: [OM] (OM) How photography has changed
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 02 Jun 2011 14:00:59 +1200
I have been buying middle-aged to elderly books on rose plants. Mainly so I
can identify older roses which are unlabelled..

Today a nice one arrived - Roses by Roger Phillips and Martin Rix.
Published by Pan in the UK in 1988.  At least 1,400 great photos.

Advice on taking rose photos was included. It reads.

" When shooting roses in the garden or the field, it is essential to work from
a tripod so that you can take advantage of the opportunity to use a slow
shutter speed and thus a smaller aperture, giving greater depth of field. In
practice the best speed is normally 1/15 sec, although if there is a strong
wind you may have to go up to 1/30 or in extremes 1/60.

The studio shots are taken on a Bronica 120, with a normal lens, with two
Bowens quad units as light source. The field shots are taken with a Nikon
FM. The film in both cases is Ektachrome 64, that used for the field shots
pushed one stop in development.  "

Brian Swale.