Re: [OM] (OM) Photography and Art

Subject: Re: [OM] (OM) Photography and Art
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 6 Jun 2011 09:02:21 -0500
> All the studios and galleries around here regularly hang outstanding
> photographic shows.  Talk about snobbery.

I'm of two minds on this. Like that surprises anybody?

On the one hand, it is snobbery or a form of blatent bias. But on the other
hand, it is an attempt at "branding". I would suspect that this art
presentation/organisation presented a particular style or group of styles of
art. I can guess that the majority of paintings fit a specific genre or two.
If I was a betting man, I'd bet my OM gear that there wasn't much more than
a token example of contemporary art. "Contemporary" to me means styles or
subjects explored in just the past ten years, not rehashes of "contemporary
art" from the '70's.

The reason why I say this is because groups or organizations that are open
to truely contemporary art will also be open to artistic expressions with
different media.

But I'm learning not to be too judgemental. Zone-10's "Artist in Residence",
Michel Szulc Krzyzanowski, has been on the leading edge of getting
photography accepted as art and now that he is older and well established
that he too has to work at not being part of the old guard.

It is so easy for us to be fresh and new one year and be part of the "that's
garbage, not art" crowd the next.

By the way, Michel still has a couple of spots open for the September 5
workshop in France. Due to circumstances beyond my control, I won't be at
either workshop, but not to worry, I'm quite positive that this will be a
"sight-changing" experience for the participants. We're going to try and
cohost at least one next year in the States.

www.zone-10.com

AG