Re: [OM] (OM) Photography and Art

Subject: Re: [OM] (OM) Photography and Art
From: Bob Whitmire <bwhitmire@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 7 Jun 2011 06:27:07 -0400
Don't blame you, but don't let your knickers get too wadded over this. Several
"art" groups in my area, where art groups are thick on the ground, won't
entertain the notion of accepting photography. They have sufficient art
vocabulary to stick to their guns, so reasoning with them is futile. But having
actually talked with a number of these pretentious snobs (no, I'm not
prejudiced <g>), I'm no longer quite so upset. They are boors, in every sense
of the word, and you really wouldn't enjoy spending much time around them.
(Assuming your New Zealand types are similar to my Maine types, and I suspect
other than accents, they are.)

Of course you can tell them that you are a hero in the photo world and still
use film. That might get you in. No lie, an art critic in the Portland (Maine)
newspaper actually called a photographer "heroic" because he still used a 4x5
view camera and film. I confess, I did get my panties bunched on that one, but
it didn't last long. <g>

--Bob