[OM] [OT] On beauty and waterboarding

Subject: [OM] [OT] On beauty and waterboarding
From: Willie Wonka <alienspecimen@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 9 Jun 2011 19:23:01 -0700 (PDT)
You have seen a picture of my new film camera-Minolta X-700 here

http://s77.photobucket.com/albums/j54/alienspecimen/Fang/?action=view&current=web9228.jpg

Something fantastic has happened...I have been staring at it for the last four
days.  I cant take my eyes off of it.  It is so pretty...and I guess I am
fascinated by the delicate balance between form and function.  I have been
marveling over too many of the camera design details-the moderate use of
plastics that enhance its appearance without making it looking cheap for
example, but most of all it is a human factors engineering masterpiece.  I can
go on and on and on and on...:)

Interestingly, I felt exactly like that about a camera that I purchased in
1997, just a month prior to joining this list.  I had done my research.  I
needed a camera for astrophotography (to this day I have not taken even one
picture of the skies through my telescope...:).  Sky and Telescope magazine had
reviewed five cameras a couple of years earlier and I liked the Olympus best.

Going back to that day when my OM1 came home.  It was expensive, we didnt have
much money at the time, so that was a luxury purchase.  I remember the feeling
of guilt almost overshadowing that of joy.  And how pretty it was...I bought
it, sat down and stared for at least an hour.  I couldnt find anything
"ugly"...did I say it was pretty?...:)

I then started changing the lenses.  It appeared that it looked the best with
the Upsilon 28/2.8.  I know that you dont know the Upsilon...it looks like
older Sigmas (seriously, I have so many OM1s with all kinds of lenses attached
to them, but the camera never looked prettier than with the Upsilon in front).
Stared a little more and thats how I brought it home...

I continued to appreciate its beauty for at least a week after, just as I did
with the Minolta...I am not going to put both cameras side by side until the
euphoria subsides.  Maybe I never will...you know what I mean.  They are both
special.  Funny, I never felt like this about my A200 which is a masterpiece of
function and carries the legacy of superb human factors engineering, but its
forms arent that appealing and its lens, although, fantastic...looks and feels
very cheap.

In a mean time, I decided to use film for first time since 2004.  Found an
interesting thing about me...I guess I lost the habit of winding the film prior
to exposure...:)

It happened to me tonight...Alex and I were walking the dog when the sky
suddenly went dark.  Soon lightning followed.  Christa picked us up, but we
decided to get the cameras and take a picture of this lighthouse against the
angry sky:

http://s77.photobucket.com/albums/j54/alienspecimen/RI/?action=view&current=Hope-Lighthouse.jpg

It started pouring right when we reached the destination and I was not able to
take even one picture of the lighthouse.  Just got of the car, focused and
pressed the shutter...nothing happened.  Then I cocked the shutter and took two
pictures on P of this bridge (lighthouse is about 100m/330ft away from it):

http://s77.photobucket.com/albums/j54/alienspecimen/RI/?action=view&current=PICT3918.jpg

Thats all the time I had, upon entering the car, I noticed that the entire
camera was soaked.  We dashed out, because the lightning bolts were falling
pretty close.

I am on frame 14 and cant wait to finish the film (yes my friends, the above
pixies were taken with the A200...:).  Never thought that I would say that...I
will post the images when done.

Boris