Re: [OM] (OM) Henri Cartier-Bresson The decisive moment

Subject: Re: [OM] (OM) Henri Cartier-Bresson The decisive moment
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 12 Jun 2011 21:34:28 -0700
On 6/12/2011 4:23 PM, Andrew Fildes wrote:
> Ah yes - I see it now. I had to zoom the screen to get it.
> I don't own Focus Magic but I can do that easily enough with localised
> contrast/sharpen.

I took that position some time ago with respect to some deconvolution
sharpening Mike had posted a link to.

Now that I have used and played with FM quite a bit, I do see a difference.
Used properly, it usually gives  a
different, more subtle and natural looking job of making detail sharper than I
can do with LCE, USM, etc.

USM sharpening at full size usually isn't apparent in a web size down sample.
FM, and I presume, deconvolution in
general, do seem to both carry through sharpness better when down sampled. It
also seems to me to make final USM
sharpening at the reduced size work a bit better, less required for an equally
sharp appearance that's more natural looking.

> Thought you might like to see the original and speculate on what I had to do
> to it.
> http://www.pbase.com/afildes/image/135518533

Oooh! Nice piece of post. Must have been an interesting project. The results
are worth it. I doubt I would have thought
to use perspective correction to change the proportions of the head, and I like
the result.

> It had a chequered history. Just for a start, I knew it was a good image but
> while sitting in a cafe later I had a rush of blood to the stupid gland and
> did something I never do - started erasing images. Got into a rhythm and
> accidentally killed this one. Said some VERY unfortunate things. I've never
> had to retrieve an image before but I downloaded PhotoRescue and it worked
> very well indeed, if very slowly considering it was just replacing a few tags.
>
> A new feature for cameras? How about an 'Undelete' command that reverses the
> last 2/3 actions? You wouldn't need it often so they could bury it in a menu
> somewhere.

I'm with Chuck on this, with one exception. I will sometimes delete the most
recent shot if it is absolutely obvious it
is junk, and especially if I can immediately get it right.

Otherwise, never, ever delete an image in camera. I can imagine a situation
where I might do so in extremis, but have
yet to encounter one.

Moose