Re: [OM] (OM) Henri Cartier-Bresson The decisive moment

Subject: Re: [OM] (OM) Henri Cartier-Bresson The decisive moment
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 12 Jun 2011 22:07:14 -0700

On 6/12/2011 9:29 PM, C.H.Ling wrote:
>> I think visual acuity may well be part of the issue. Remember, I have
>> 20/10 (6/3) vision, I can resolve detail at 6 m
>> that a person with average vision can't see unless twice as close.  I see
>> detail that most people don't.
> I always doubt about this quote, we are watching a montior that can be
> physically adjusted to any position we wanted. I can identify each pixel so
> I don't think I see any less (sharp) than you.

You misunderstand. In this case, you could see the difference. I was talking
about those who couldn't see it, at least
without adding pixels by magnifying the image on their screens.

> On the other hand some of your oversharpen cases (not this one) led me
> believe your monitor is not sharp so you need more sharpening.

This is much harder to make clear. I wish I could find a way for you to see the
world through my eyes. My left eye is
20/20, the right about 20/10,  even 20/8 at times in the past when they were
checked.

If I cover my right eye I, especially when viewing something with lots of fine
detail, as with foliage, I'm almost
shocked at how soft the world must appear to most people, let alone those with
less than average visual acuity.

The visual world in which I live is crunchier, edgier, I'm not sure just what
the right word is, than that of most
people. It has more small detail in the central visual field.

When I sharpen an image for display, I naturally tend to try to make something
that 'looks like' what the world looks
like to me, what the subject looked like to me when I shot it. As it happens,
that's often very hard or impossible to do
with present display technology and web image sizes.

So what you see is often the result of a struggle between what I want to see,
what is possible for me to create and my
knowledge that most folks like images less sharp than I do. Believe it or not,
I routinely sharpen an image to something
like my taste, then reduce that sharpening to show it to others on the web.

I routinely am very frustrated at the impossibility of getting foliage to look
'right' on screen - it's often just so
soft and undefined looking.

It's not that I can't see the effect of what you find to be oversharpening -
it's very obvious to me. It's that I am
comparing the image on screen to a different visual world than you see.
Something 'oversharpened' at least somewhat,
while still imperfect, is often closer to my visual world than one that's
softer, and more natural looking to you.

Moose