Re: [OM] (OM) Henri Cartier-Bresson The decisive moment

Subject: Re: [OM] (OM) Henri Cartier-Bresson The decisive moment
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2011 09:11:10 -0400
If you freshly formatted the card before you started shooting then
deleting the last image is safe.  In fact, it's safe to delete images
sequentially going backwards.  What is not safe is to delete from the
first image rather than the last or to delete any image between two others.

If the card is not near full it *might* be safe to ignore my advice
above and delete willy-nilly.  But whether it's safe or not depends on
the space allocation strategy for space re-use that is used by the FAT
file system implementation in your camera.  The problem is you don't
know what that strategy is.  But I can tell you from hard experience
that the implementation on the Canon 5D is not a safe one for deleting
images.

Finally, no matter which re-use strategy is employed all are unsafe for
deleting images in-camera if the card is near full or else *would have
been near full* had you not deleted some images.  You probably don't
keep track of that stuff while you're shooting.  Be safe, don't delete
images in-camera.  Besides, many images that don't look so good on the
camera might actually turn out to be something else when you see it on
the big screen.

Chuck Norcutt