Re: [OM] Start saving now...

Subject: Re: [OM] Start saving now...
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2011 11:15:06 -0500
> What's off, besides projected durability?

No, Bob. That was a reasonable question. For what it's worth, I'll list a
few properties which I think are part and parcel of a "professional" camera
or system right now.

1. Reasonably weather resistant. If you have to shield or protect the camera
from a light rain, then it isn't able to be used because you are busy trying
to protect your camera.

2. Reasonable ruggedness. Construction quality extends beyond just build
material. Are various controls placed on positions where they can be broken
from normal impact?

3. Control placement. Are the controls placed in such a manner that thay are
not accidently bumped or pressed as part of normal camera handling? The
E-PL1 is a great example of this. You cannot use the camera as a camera
without accidently pressing buttons.

4. No excuses performance. Shutter latency? Buffer depth? AF speed and
accuracy?

5. High-quality viewfinder. Which viewfinder technology doesn't matter, but
the fact is that the viewfinder has to be usable and accurate. Why can't
they figure out that electronic viewfinders are great, but I don't need tons
of static information covering up 75% of the image.

6. Instant access to all major functions and controls. No menu-diving
required to change something as simple as exposure-compensation, or ISO or
white-balance.

7. Holdability. This goes with #3, but also is important because the camera
should be comfortable to hold for great periods of time without your hands
cramping from holding it like a claw.

8. External flash connections and/or hot-shoe available at all times. Does
the EVF take the hot-shoe position? How can you use the EVF and a
Pocketwizard at the same time?

I'm sure others will come up with their own criteria, but these are the
things I've identified as being show-stoppers for me with all current m43
cameras.

AG