Re: [OM] Start saving now...

Subject: Re: [OM] Start saving now...
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2011 17:56:43 -0500
OK, Chuck, you knew you were going to wind me up with that post.

Option 3 was exactly that. Use the A1 as my second camera at my upcoming
weddings this year in almost exactly the configuration you describe. Yes,
Sony could reintroduce that camera with a new 12ish MP sensor and improved
electronics and have a world-beater on their hands. That lens is astounding,
too.

I'm actually considering picking up a flash for it. Minolta had wireless
flash with adjustable ratios years before anybody else AND it works
extremely well and is still as good if not better than most. I saw a 5600HS
go for a reasonable amount the other day, so just maybe I'll jump on that
bandwagon.

As to the "professional look", frankly, the A1, with the battery grip has it
in spades. It actually is a pretty tough looking camera. A bit of
strategically placed black gaffers tape and nobody has a clue that it's an
eight-year-old clutz of a camera. But that battery grip makes the camera
ultra comfortable too. Right up there in comfort with the E-1, but with
better control layout. Yup, you read me right. The A1 has a better grip and
control than the E-1. The E-1, however, has a slightly better thumb
placement which helps with overweight lenses.

My most consistant results in the digital age with event/wedding photography
has been with the A1/Grip with the Stroboframe, 285HV and UltraBounce. The
E-1 is better in skintones and noise, but this configuration is still very
good. It's also very handy, because I can use aperture-priority with -1.0 or
so exposure compensation and put the flash on yellow. Regardless of indoors
or out, the exposures are almost always perfect. Going outdoors, with the
seemingly unlimited flash-sync speeds, is a total nobrainer.

The camera is a rarity and one that still racks up the goods.

I do wish that it was better in colors, as it isn't nearly as good as the
E-1. But as I've since discovered, what is?

AG