[OM] (OT, kinda) Helping a nephew

Subject: [OM] (OT, kinda) Helping a nephew
From: Bob Whitmire <bwhitmire@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2011 11:17:40 -0400
My nephew e-mailed me the other day with a camera question. He works up
listings for real estate agents, and wants to start offering interior photos as
part of the service. He said most of his clients use little p&s cameras and
really hate doing the work.

He's not a shooter, and he hasn't bought anything yet, so what follows is his
first stab at a list of gear:

Camera: Canon Rebel XS 10.1MP Digital SLR Camera with EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS
Lens

http://www.amazon.com/Canon-XS-Digital-18-55mm-Black/dp/B001CBKJGG/ref=pd_ybh_2?pf_rd_p=280800601&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_t=1501&pf_rd_i=ybh&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=010CHJ3EDC40R3CNZTEJ

Flash:  Canon Speedlite 430EX II Flash for Canon Digital SLR Cameras

http://www.amazon.com/Canon-Speedlite-II-Digital-Cameras/dp/B001CCAISE/ref=pd_ybh_1?pf_rd_p=280800601&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_t=1501&pf_rd_i=ybh&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=010CHJ3EDC40R3CNZTEJ

I've told him I don't do this kind of work, but that I'm pretty sure he'll need
a wider lens than the 18mm kit, and he'll also need a tripod, as well as
something to diffuse the flash, assuming he goes for a wider lens. As you can
see, he's smart enough not to generate any lust for top-of-the-line stuff. (He
was also smart enough to realize before I told him that a tripod might be
necessary.) So I'm wondering that the recommendation would be for a decent wide
angle that will get the job done. Canon's offerings seem to be pretty
expensive, and I have no knowledge of third-party lenses other than Zeiss, and
I don't think that's gonna help him either. <g>

Any suggestions welcome! You can send 'em off list if you don't want to take up
the bandwidth, though I think periodic discussions of who's been doing what
with which wide angles is always interesting.

--Bob