Re: [OM] (OT, kinda) Helping a nephew

Subject: Re: [OM] (OT, kinda) Helping a nephew
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2011 12:44:36 -0400
The camera is OK but can the lens and the flash.

In place of the flash put a 2-way level in the hot shoe instead.  To
avoid perspective distortion it's critical that the camera be level
front to back and side to side.  To take in the room and avoid the need
to tilt up and down use a 24mm equivalent lens. Set the camera height at
the midpoint between floor and ceiling.  Typically a high rise tripod is
not required unless you're doing a place with cathedral ceilings.
<http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/715140-REG/Sunpak_SP_2W_LV_2_Way_Bubble_Level.html>

Trying to use flash will be frought with problems due to the good old
inverse square law.  To do it requires multiple studio lights, huge
diffusers and, unless you have powerful modeling lights on the flash
units lots of trial and error setting up the lights.

With digital it's easier to use the tripod for long exposures as
required and handle the inevitable dynamic range problems (dark indoors,
bright sun outdoors) with multiple exposures and HDR techniques.  The
following is a 2 or 3 exposure HDR image just done on PS by manually
masking different layers.  Note the properly exposed sunlit outdoors and
the non-blown sunlit areas on the closet doors.  The sun was nowhere
near as weak as the photo implies.
<http://www.chucknorcutt.com/realestate.php>

Color balance can be very problematic with mixed sunlight, fluorescent
and incandescent sources.  Avoid turning on the fluorescents... if
possible.  However, proper presentation of an interior architectural
shot is normally done with lights on... another source of blown areas
and possible need for multiple exposures and HDR techniques.

This Tokina 12-24/4 (ver II) is a highly rated lens as was its ver I
predecessor.  This lens is $549 at B&H but the ver I can probably be had
for $400 if you can find one in Canon mount.  You could probably also
find one on the bay either new or used.

The tripod doesn't need to be huge or fancy but it does need controls
that allow accurate positioning, leveling and locking without disturbing
the intended setting... sometimes a tough order.

I'll probably be incommunicado the rest of the day but may get a chance
to look for additional questions tomorrow.

ps:  Also have him go buy a basic book on architectural photography.
But avoid loaning him the 4x5.  :-)

Chuck Norcutt