Re: [OM] getting out of OM

Subject: Re: [OM] getting out of OM
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2011 15:19:44 -0500
> Yeah, there we go. I remember. I join the Olympus Mailing List owning an
OM-1 with a 50/f1.8 or something like that, and a few years later I have an
OM-3, OM-4Ti, 28/f2.8, 50/f1.4, 50/f1.8 or 2 extra, 75-150, 90/f2, 200/f4, a
pinhole body cap I made myself, and then some. And here you are doing it
again, convincing me to keep the whole shebang because it's so gorgeous !

> You lot haven't changed a bit :)

Ah! Nice to know I haven't lost my touch. :)

OK, so here's the deal. Keep the OM-3 and 90/2. Sell the 50/1.4 and get the
28/2. The money you save on buying the new m43 stuff will buy not only the
28/2, which is a bargain compared to even the junk m43 lenses, but will fund
a LOT of film and development.

You could easily survive the rest of your life with just those two lenses
and the OM-3.

The fact is, the OM system is unmatched by anything you can buy today. The
shear enjoyement factor of using "the best ever" of a given technology goes
a long ways towards the "nice, but I can't wait until next year's model"
purchases. The OM-3 with 90/2 and 28/2 represent the pinnacle of design,
whereas the m43 sytem represents the "we'll do just what we need to sell
units, but no more so you will buy the next model which adds one new
feature" mentality.

You NEED the OM-3. You NEED the 90/2. And given your desire for
close-and-wide, you NEED the 28/2. You'll never get as much personal
satisfaction out of the "new shiny" as those three items will give you.

Of course, you NEED to upgrade from the OM-3 to OM-3Ti. If you are going to
stick with the OM, you might as well upgrade it to the best-ever. You owe it
to yourself to do at least that. After that, do get another OM-4Ti, 35-80
and 180/2 to go with it. Dont' forget the macro gear. Flashes,
auto-extension tubes and other doodads to complete the mess. Oh, and since
you'll have the OM-3Ti, get yourself another T32 or T45 so you can make use
of the OTF auto-flash while in manual mode.

And so on.

Yes. That kit seems about right: OM-3Ti, 90/2 and 28/2. If it said Leica on
it, who would complain?

AG