Re: [OM] Finally! Olympus is getting it! (E-P3, 12mm f/2.0)

Subject: Re: [OM] Finally! Olympus is getting it! (E-P3, 12mm f/2.0)
From: Peter Leyssens <peterleyssens@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 1 Jul 2011 16:07:21 +0900 (JST)

Mike,

> Yes, very very interesting.  Odd that there is evidence of detail
> smearing by noise reduction  at base ISO, though those are only jpegs
> so far. Wonder what MFT body is King of the Hill  from what is known so
> far as ranked by the Schnozz?  Perhaps this or the G3 though not
> perfect, is good enough.

While I like the E-P3, the changes are incremental. I'm not a fan of the
built-in flash and I'm not entirely convinced by the touch screen, though I can
see uses for both. I am very impressed by what I read about the focus speed.
But it won't convince me to upgrade from my E-P1 which is more than good IQ
wise.

> More stuff:

Morer stuf:

http://robinwong.blogspot.com/2011/06/olympus-e-p3-review-pudu-wet-market.html

I really like how he uses the 12/f2. It's inspiring to see him use it like a
normal lens in tight areas. If I'd have the cash, the order would be out
already !

> Must say, I just don't get the Pentax Q system.  OK it is a tad
> smaller, but the sensor is just a bit larger than an I -phone
> and one can't make any calls.

Well, the size bit is much more pronounced than you think. If you multiply
bxdxh, the Q is half the size of the E-Px series and half the weight. Compared
to the E-PM, it's still only 2/3 the size and 2/3 the weight. Reducing that to
"a tad smaller" is like reducing the G-1 to "a tad smaller" than a DSLR, which
is an argument that we had to contend with for a long time. The main issue is
that with a lens, it's not much less deep than an Pen with a pancake.

As for the sensor: it will probably beat the pants off the LX3. The sensor is
smaller, but the photo sites won't be a lot smaller because the electronics are
on the back. Also, the sensor is a newer generation. Sure, it won't be on the
level of my E-P1. It's not intended to be. It is a compact, but with that one
thing that lifts it up a level: interchangeable lenses. It's why I got into the
OM-1 in the first place: you can connect telescopes, microscopes, play around
with lenses, make a pinhole body cap, put a lens at the end of a cardboard tube
and do macro, ...  I love my LX3, it's versatile, but it's just a camera, not a
tool.

I'm not saying I will buy one, but I do like the concept.

Peter.