[OM] Mosquito Science and Metaphysics [was Totally OT -TickRemoval]

Subject: [OM] Mosquito Science and Metaphysics [was Totally OT -TickRemoval]
From: usher99@xxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 4 Jul 2011 12:21:57 -0400 (EDT)
This thread remind me of the recent cover story in
Nature---investigator from UC Riverside. He found some blockers and
super agonists for the
mosquito CO2 receptor. Simple stuff like butanal, IIRC.

http://newsroom.ucr.edu/2645

IIRC it was over 10 years ago that someone notice homology between
fruit fly odor receptor and some  genes in female skeeters---one down
regulated by blood meal.
I believe over 75 receptors ar enow known --likely some for butylamine
and lactic acid but the biggie seems to be CO2. Some are working on
super agonists for the CO2
receptor and putting it in house paint---voilà, no skeeters at your
barbeque.   I'll defer to Dean on the details on any of this.

Frequent skeeter target, Mike