Re: [OM] Lens Repair by a different method

Subject: Re: [OM] Lens Repair by a different method
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 4 Jul 2011 23:04:04 -0500
> I'd like to see a side-by-side comparison before accepting that assertion !

I could dig out my test shots. But my tests were with a sample of one
each. The differences were so conclusive I didn't hesitate to sell off
my 14-54. It's not that the 14-54 was a dog, it's just that the 14-50
was so much better.

Main differences were seen in the following areas:

1. At 14mm, the amount of corrective distortion in the DZ made it less
than stellar in the corners. Group portraits always yielded different
size people in the edges than those in the middle. The Leica corrected
this. My testing of the DZ Mk2, as well as the 12-60 addressed this to
some amount.

2. Contrast. The Leica is contrastier in the mid-tones than the DZ.
Overall, they are similar, but the mid-tones have greater tonal
separation. Whether this is an advantage or not is up to you.

3. No cross-over wierdness. The DZ has two focal lengths which just
seem off. Can't quite put my finger on it, and it seems to vary a
little depending on distance and aperture, but it's as though the life
just gets sucked out of the images when shot at those two focal
lengths. In comparison, the Leica doesn't have those spots, but it
doesn't go quite as lively in the better focal lengths either.

4. Overall distortion. This is where the DZ wins, but what does remain
is a little more wavy.

5. Build Quality. Hands down, the DZ wins. It's also a much smaller lens.

6. Flare. The Leica is much more flare resistant. Not that the DZ is
bad, but the Leica is just that much better. When you do see flare,
it's a more natural instead of the double-pinched pucker variety.

I did debate whether to sell the DZ. The control layout, as well as
the direction of the zoom control makes the DZ a much more comfortable
lens to use. I would have kept it except a buyer came along at the
right time and I came to the conclusion that I kept it around long
enough and it makes sense to get rid of it while it still had value.
Odd that I kept the E-1, though.

Don't know how long I'll keep the 14-50, but it'll go when the L1
goes. No sense keeping one without the other. They'll probably both go
when it's time to buy the 5Dmk3.

AG