Re: [OM] Mosquito Science and Metaphysics [was Totally OT - Tick Removal

Subject: Re: [OM] Mosquito Science and Metaphysics [was Totally OT - Tick Removal]
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 5 Jul 2011 09:56:37 -0500
> Now that's an easy one. Requires no spiritual explanation at all. Simple
evolution. Mosquitoes have carried deadly diseases for all of recorded
history, and almost certainly long before that. West Nile Virus is the
latest in our area.

This is why I have no issues whatsoever in denying mosquitoes a right to
continued existence when it enters the sphere of slappabilty as illustrated
by Leonardo da Vinci in his Vitruvian Man drawing. I'm fully convinced that
this drawing was a result of da Vinci's spending a night swatting
mosquitoes.

As to the tastability factor. I do believe Moose is correct about this, but
he didn't state causes other than that he's more evolved than some, but not
as much as Carol. When I go backpacking I go vegetarian for at least two
weeks beforehand. I will also up my garlic consumption a bit too. (a bit?).
By getting away from all forms of animal fats the skin oils change and my
sweat is different. I've noticed a dramatic difference in how the bugs deal
with me. However, those black flies up in the Upper Peninsula don't seem to
care one way or the other.

Yesterday, I went for a hike at one of the local prairies. It was over 90
degrees and nobody else was around so I shed the t-shirt and just enjoyed
the hike in shorts and sandals. I've been looking a bit bleached paper, so
some sunlight seemed to be right. Well, it took all of ten seconds before a
herd of mosquitoes and flies started gathering over what must have been the
equivalent of a Ruth's Chris Steakhouse. They didn't even need to wait
before being seated. I didn't put the shirt back on, but I did use it to
extend the range of of swatting as I'd windmill it around once in a while.

Mosquitoes, throughout history, have served only one purpose. To be carriers
of disease which is an important factor in balancing population. If wars and
famine don't thin out enough people, then malaria will. One of the reasons
we are experiencing such an uncontrolled population boom today is because
mass disease is under control.

As the mosquito is a death-carrying device, just as it is OK to defend
yourself if somebody came at you with a knife or gun, I have no qualms
whatsoever about defending myself against these flying syringes.

AG