Re: [OM] Newport Transporter Bridge.

Subject: Re: [OM] Newport Transporter Bridge.
From: Ian Nichols <ian.a.nichols@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 8 Jul 2011 22:35:31 +0100
On 8 July 2011 22:11, Wiliam Wagenaar <wiliam@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Wow Ian, you certainly grabbed the opportunity. I guess one needs a good
> stomach to walk on the grids at this height?

It didn't seem at all bad, actually - there wasn't much wobbling,
except when the trolley that supports the gondola went by, and you're
surrounded by quite a lot of metal and there are railings to hold on
to.  Going down the steps at the far end was slightly more unnerving
as they are rather shallow and steep.

>Could it be that I have seen a
> documentary about this bridge on TV somewhere?

It's possible, but I havent seen anything on TV about this one.  I
think there was something about the Middlesborough one recently
though.
http://www.visitmiddlesbrough.com/site/things-to-do/products/transporter-bridge-and-visitor-centre-p23871

I see that they describe that as "The only working bridge of its kind
in England", which I suppose is true  (Newport is in South Wales).

I found this interesting report about the Newport bridge:
http://www.newport.gov.uk/xpedio/groups/public/documents/report/n_008952.pdf

--
Stand firm for what you believe in, until and unless logic and experience
prove you wrong.  Remember: when the emperor looks naked, the emperor *is*

-Daria Morgendorffer