Re: [OM] OT: UK Customs

Subject: Re: [OM] OT: UK Customs
From: Nathan Wajsman <photo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 9 Jul 2011 12:14:40 +0200
Well, the VAT is around 60 pounds of that, so the other fees and whatever
customs duty applied (probably 4% or so) total 24 pounds--not too bad,
actually. If the shipper had used UPS they would have charged you a lot more
for handling the customs formalities.

Depending on exchange rates etc., for many items it is still cheaper to buy in
the US if shipping is by the USPS and not one of the private delivery companies.

Although I must admit that I also prefer to bring stuff in person, such as the
two Pentax lenses I brought back from San Francisco in May and somehow forgot
to declare on landing in Madrid :-)

Cheers,
Nathan

Nathan Wajsman