Re: [OM] Fwd: Giveaway of the Day

Subject: Re: [OM] Fwd: Giveaway of the Day
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 10 Jul 2011 07:25:00 -0400
Unfortunately, I've opened this a day too late to get it free.  However,
I note that the on-line reviews are more negative than positive so
perhaps it's best.

I do suspect (but don't actually know) that a general tool such as this
may not be able to do as good a job as a more specialized tool designed
specifically for image recovery from flash cards.  The ability to
recognize a Canon CR2 file, for example, based on information in its
header and especially an end-of-file mark (if it exists for that format)
could be invaluable in recovering difficult cases.

When I tried the SanDisk tool it correctly identified all 385 CR2 files
and (almost) none of the remaining 6GB containing numerous irrelevant
files.  I say almost since it did identify a bogus file #386 which I
knew was bogus since it was impossibly large for a 5D file.  That's
where even more specialized camera data would help.

Chuck Norcutt