Re: [OM] IMG: Two Pests

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Two Pests
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2011 14:45:56 -0700
On 7/11/2011 11:28 AM, Jim Nichols wrote:
> Today, I observed two pests.  First, I almost always see Poison Ivy.  This
> image shows the shape of the leaves, reminding us of the old adage, "Leaves
> of three, let it be !!"
> http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/OldNick/The+Shapes+of+Poison+Ivy.jpg.html

Nice composition!

A little flat for my taste in the middle tones.

> Insects seem to find that the buds and flowers of the Rose of Sharon are a
> delicacy.  These were only a  part of the flock of flies that were enjoying
> this bud.
> http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/OldNick/Fly+Buffet.jpg.html
>
> E-1 with ZD 35/3.5 Macro

I like this in many ways.

You've posted a number of insect images recently taken with E-1 and heavily
cropped. The particular granular pattern
from the E-1 and whatever processing you do often enhances the images in an
artistic way, adding an almost painterly
quality.

 From a purely photographic technical standpoint, there are artifacts that
sometimes detract, to my eye. Here, that's
perhaps more troublesome than in others.  For example, the lower part of the
back leg of the left fly is icky* to me. I
would blur it and a couple of other places a bit.

Moose

* A technical photographic term. ;-)