Re: [OM] Why we do it

Subject: Re: [OM] Why we do it
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2011 16:41:58 -0500
Thanks for the update, Bob. I was wondering how it turned out. Did you have
the hand-paint surface done? Or just a standard coating? Also, I assume this
was the fine-art canvas print, and not the bonded, which I had done.

That's a fantastic image to have done on canvas. I'd probably buy it!

Millers is a pro lab servicing pro customers who generally provide them with
some semblence of quanity. The MPIX division services the general public and
offers almost exactly the same products. About the only difference between
the two is that the printing machines are calibrated every hour or two
instead of twice a day. Also, when you have multiple print sizes in the same
ORDER, all prints are done on exactly the same machine within the same
calibration cycle. Also, for us portrait/wedding/event photographers,
Millers applies a very slight color/density curve which is kinda their
signature. I've gotten to the point where I can identify portrait prints
done through Millers. It's subtle, but there. The MPIX pictures don't always
have that look--especially if you do the "no color/density correction"
option. With Millers, even when you select "no color/density correction"
there is still a very slight adjustment made through the RIP

AG