Re: [OM] Photogeek-chic

Subject: Re: [OM] Photogeek-chic
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2011 20:34:53 -0700
On 7/14/2011 5:19 PM, Marc Lawrence wrote:
> It was my 41st birthday a couple of days ago (an achievment which I
> still feel fraudulent and unqualified for as much as I did at 40),

Methinks you may have an inaccurate view of what's supposed to happen as one
ages. Losing one's sense of joy and
enthusiasm is NOT to be desired, IMNSHO. :-)   Sounds like you are doing very
well.

Congrats on another birthday - keep at it for a very long time!

> and The Loved One has engaged in a deception that surprised me, buying me,
> amongst other things, unexpected photography-related "trinkets"
> ("trinkets" in that they're less about gear thanthe pleasure
> photography brings me). Anyway, I thought you might like to see them,
> such as:
>
> The lens cup
> http://flic.kr/p/a3evm6

Such a good idea. I look at them from time to time. My personal problem is that
I very seldom drink beverages for which
such a thing would be suitable. Coffee, tea, sodas, etc. have given way to
simple water in my tastes for years. Around
home, I drink a particular bottled fizzy water that pleases my palette out of
the bottles it comes in.

I keep the top screwed on when not actually imbibing. The number of spills I've
avoided are countless. Just last night,
the bottle fell off my overcrowded desk and I just let it lay there for a
while. Oops! Top not quite on tight, liquid
leaking slowly into carpet. Oh well, it was just water, it evaporated. Lesson
learned - for now, anyway.

> The F-stop watch
> http://flic.kr/p/a3hnCw

Very cool looking. But I don't think I could use it. A blank face is tough
enough, without horologically spurious
markings. I do have a Disney watch with Goofy's hands telling time backwards,
but it's not really fun to use to tell time.

> (FWIW, I also got plain, old everyday geek-chic, in the form of a
> Casio Data Bank watch)
>
> The Minox mini-Leica (and Eye-Fi card)
> http://flic.kr/p/a3hnMs

Very cute! My weakness would be for the Minox Rolleiflex. I like the look and
think placing the modern LCD where the
viewscreen went on the original is much nicer than sticking an LCD on the back
of a mini film camera replica.

Too darn much $ though, for what is reported to be quite poor image quality. If
it had the IQ of my old 1.9MP Canon
S110, I'd be content with that part, but the reviews I've seen suggest it's
worse, perhaps much worse.

Didn't you have the Rollei, Andrew ? Ever posted review and/or samples

> and, of course, the t-shirt
> http://flic.kr/p/a3evZ8
>
> I was quite pleased, did a little jig, clapped my hands...all that
> stuff that confirms how eminently unqualified I am for my age (and
> possibly how rigorously I attend to not trying ;) ).

Pish tosh! I'd do the same thing, and I've got over a quarter century on you.
:-)

> Photography is something that generally makes me happy and (perhaps
> ironically) gives me a sense of being part of reality when...well,
> let's just say I struggle achieving those particular notions most
> times [insert wry smile]. That The Loved One attended to that, so
> thoroughly deceived me in my usual attempts to get him to reveal in
> advance his intents (the tricky bugger even had me convinced he'd
> never heard of the photojojo website), and gave me things so
> unexpected and apt...well, materialism aside, it is nice to be wanted
> (and nice to be reminded of what makes one happy).

Excellent! That's the way relationships should be.

> I also got a couple of books, a Magic Trackpad, and a set of Sgt.
> Peppers matryoshka dolls

Oooh, I love 'em!

Happy in Sympathy Moose