Re: [OM] Photogeek-chic

Subject: Re: [OM] Photogeek-chic
From: Marc Lawrence <montsnmags@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 15 Jul 2011 17:19:02 +1000
On 15 July 2011 13:34, Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 7/14/2011 5:19 PM, Marc Lawrence wrote:
>> It was my 41st birthday a couple of days ago (an achievment which I
>> still feel fraudulent and unqualified for as much as I did at 40),
>
> Methinks you may have an inaccurate view of what's supposed to happen as one
> ages. Losing one's sense of joy and
> enthusiasm is NOT to be desired, IMNSHO. :-)   Sounds like you are doing very
> well.

My phrasing is meant quite tongue-in-cheek...a response reflexively
developed against the usual well-meaning ribbing intended to make me
self-conscious about my new "middle" age. Age has never been a
self-consciousness I've had, though I've felt the effects of it mostly
when pushed the other way (though I was apparently "older than your
years" as a child, I've looked too much younger than my years for
professional, intellectual or emotional credibility as an adult, and
now this 40-something "middle age" stereotype mixing in a
contradictory sense from others of being insufficiently retired into
some perceived appropriate age-normality). I have no expectations of
age though I might watch it and its common prescription from outside
the sphere of what seems to be the social world.

The social and familial world to me has more often than not been one
largely of (passive-) aggressive expectations, most of which I've
never met or tried to meet, and against my neurotic introversion
(amongst other things) they have powered an affirmation of hermitage,
a perplexity of and alienation to what feels like reality, and a
general nestling down against the cold-warm glow of self-absorbed,
self-indulgent, melodramatic psychasthenia. For me, my statement of
surety is "That looks *real*".

And so to the Tyranny of Normality such is the wryly amused,
self-critical, superficial response of the paranoid, socially-anxious,
obsessive recluse, to whom solitude (other than with The Loved One,
transfigured into archetype) is the pinnacle of Hedonism, and where I
search for happiness and an occasional sense of being "real". :)

Which is to say, I don't take myself seriously very often, and when I
do (as now) it feels like a flaw. I say, often explicitly and with a
feeling of accuracy and contentment and little regret, I am a Fool.
I'd forestall a lot of redundant words [looks up, casually whistling]
if I just started and ended with those four words. ;)

I am 41. That fact amuses me with its redundancy and absurdity, and is
there anything funnier than the redundant and absurd?

> Congrats on another birthday - keep at it for a very long time!

Thank-you, sincerely. I owe you succinctness, which is the least I can
do after that (and probably the most).

> Such a good idea. I look at them from time to time. My personal problem is
> that I very seldom drink beverages for which
> such a thing would be suitable. Coffee, tea, sodas, etc. have given way to
> simple water in my tastes for years. Around
> home, I drink a particular bottled fizzy water that pleases my palette out of
> the bottles it comes in.

It has a lid, but the nature of the lid is such that I expect it would
*cause* spillage.

> Very cool looking. But I don't think I could use it. A blank face is tough
> enough, without horologically spurious
> markings. I do have a Disney watch with Goofy's hands telling time backwards,
> but it's not really fun to use to tell time.

The truth is, it's practically just jewelry for me, as I'm more likely
to reach for my phone even when a watch is simpler.

> Very cute! My weakness would be for the Minox Rolleiflex. I like the look and
> think placing the modern LCD where the
> viewscreen went on the original is much nicer than sticking an LCD on the
> back of a mini film camera replica.
>
> Too darn much $ though, for what is reported to be quite poor image quality.
> If it had the IQ of my old 1.9MP Canon
> S110, I'd be content with that part, but the reviews I've seen suggest it's
> worse, perhaps much worse.

The IQ is...not good. It is a "krappy kamera", and that's how I always
saw it. It is likely I would never have bought it myself, and so
receipt relied on it coming as an unsolicited gift, as it has.
Currently my iPhone 3GS is my krappy camera, though if I upgrade it as
I am likely to, I did really need something of poor quality to replace
it. :)

> Pish tosh! I'd do the same thing, and I've got over a quarter century on you.
> :-)

And I'll try consider that continued motivation until then and beyond.
The body is now willing, which is nice.

Thanks, Moose, again. It is always pleasant and enlightening hearing
from and responding to you. And apologies to those forced to scroll
beyond my errant rambling.

Cheers,
Marc
http://www.parknmeter.com