Re: [OM] Why we do it

Subject: Re: [OM] Why we do it
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 15 Jul 2011 08:52:07 -0500
> So where are the pics? Posted anywhere? Would be interesting to see what the
> surface treatment looks like.

As a general rule, I do keep my client photos off the interwebs,
except for instructional purposes--and even that is with their
permission. But I'll see about getting a photo of them after she has
hung them up in her studio.

The surface treatment gives the texture and reflectance of a heavily
painted canvas, where the artist was rather generous with the paint
itself. The paint used is clear, so it doesn't change the image.
However, since it is clear and not applied to an even depth, there is
some blurring going on. For instance, if the brush stroke crosses a
straight line on the print, it will create a bit of distortion on that
line. The acrylic paint is highly reflective so it does glisten in the
light.

As to Bob's thinking about having the painting surface done on his
print, I would call Millers ahead of time to discuss it. You'll want
the texture to match the print and not look like it was just done in a
generic manner. Given the cost and what is being done, I'd work with a
local starving artist to have the surface modification done there in
Maine. Millers does tend to be a little heavy-handed, but Bob's photos
are a little more lyrical and a softer touch would probably be a bit
better. What Millers does is better for portraits. Although, in 20x30
size, it's probably a moot point. In a 20x30 size, if you were to do
it yourself, you'd probably have to spend $20 on paint alone. Between
my three prints, there's 300 square inches of surface coverage. With
as heavy a coat as was done, it was the better part of a $8 tube of
clear.

Once in a while I like to do a little painting. I'm kinda feeling
inspired to do some of this myself, actually.

AG