[OM] Off-topic, Bass and Off-spring

Subject: [OM] Off-topic, Bass and Off-spring
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2011 10:34:27 -0500
The following may or may not contain any Olympus content. Read on at your
own risk.

DD#1 (14yo, Dear Daughter #1) has expressed interest in playing the bass
guitar. Makes sense, both girls have been learning and playing music since
before they started kindegarten. For the past couple of years she's been
playing the guitar, but that's not been her first love. The bass has really
intrigued her. Opportunity and finances have been the major issue preventing
it, though. But now she has opportunity, and the finances were such that we
could finally jump.

So, we asked her how much money she had saved up (which was about 1/2 the
cost of a decent low-cost one) and told her that we'll loan her the rest of
the money for the guitar and we'd pay for the bag, strap, warranty and
taxes. We want her to earn the money for it herself because she'll probably
take better care of it, play it more (which isn't an issue for our girls as
they are rock-and-roll wannabes, anyway), and she can sell/trade/upgrade
without parental abuse.

That was on Saturday. On Sunday, she was already playing in church. Her
fingers will be bloodied stumps by next Sunday, I suspect.  :)

It's not that the girls weren't popular before, but there must be something
about a drum or guitar-playing teenage girl that is a guy magnet. Not sure
that this will end well...

AG (card carrying member of the FOOD Group) Schnozz