Re: [OM] Off-topic, Bass and Off-spring

Subject: Re: [OM] Off-topic, Bass and Off-spring
From: Fernando Gonzalez Gentile <fgonzalezgentile@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2011 16:53:56 -0300
I completely empathise with your worries, Ken. My one and only
daughter is 17 now. But I'm with Chuck on this. Playing the electric
bass is not the true magnet. Showing herself in public playing the
bass would only increase her self assurance, becoming more self
confident. Show her how real good electric bass players play, and
encourage her to improve her skills. Show her that's something beyond
rock'n'roll riffs, teach her that playing the bass like (personal
tastes here ...) Tony Levin (yes, rock but very skillful), Marcus
Miller (funk jazz, a master in his instrument imho, former Miles Davis
bassist and could be a good example the trio with Stanley Clarke and
Victor Wooten, a little boring for me), or Eberhard Weber (!!!) are
the steps worth following. Teach her there's a wider world out there
and encourage her, she might end playing like Charlie Haden or Dave
Holland or Paul Chambers or Reggie Workman.

Of course, someday her prince will come and tell her 'Oh, when I heard
you playing at that gig ... etc etc'.

Good luck, wish the same for me.

Fernando

On Mon, Jul 18, 2011 at 12:34 PM, Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote