Re: [OM] Off-topic, Bass and Off-spring

Subject: Re: [OM] Off-topic, Bass and Off-spring
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2011 15:36:21 -0500
> I completely empathise with your worries, Ken. My one and only
> daughter is 17 now. But I'm with Chuck on this. Playing the electric
> bass is not the true magnet. Showing herself in public playing the
> bass would only increase her self assurance, becoming more self
> confident.

Very true! I agree, entirely. But our situation is also unique enough
that both girls are getting opportunities to shine. It is fascinating
to me, though, how she's been quite shy with the acoustic, but she had
no problem going front and center yesterday. Today's epiphany was
realizing that the fingering for the chords was the same (minus two
strings), so "duh" she could basically do whatever she wanted as far
as which note to play as long as the chord was right. Then 10 years of
music theory and training kicked in...

>Show her how real good electric bass players play, and
> encourage her to improve her skills. Show her that's something beyond
> rock'n'roll riffs, teach her that playing the bass like...

Well, "Info-Dad" sometimes (usually, often, always) goes a bit too far
and is given the evil-eye. Hey, you guys know what I'm like here on
this list. Imagine living with me.

Yet, I agree entirely about the various styles. I've always found the
common RR and Balad style bass lines to be rather BORING!!!!! Hip-Hop
(which is their preferred style) is even worse--only topped by
Country. But, yet, there are a few performers out there that really
know how to unleash the bass. She did get some brief instruction from
one of the top players in this state, and as he made it sing, her eyes
lit up and said "I want to play like THAT!"

AG