Re: [OM] Making Progress

Subject: Re: [OM] Making Progress
From: Charles Geilfuss <charles.geilfuss@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2011 13:46:45 -0400
   Coming out of lurk mode for a bit. Went up to NC for a long weekend but
ended up trapped there for nine days (long story). Now I'm playing catch-up
at work.
    I'm in the process of re-doing my decks and stairs and chose to use the
plastic composite. They were originally built with treated pine and a number
have had to be replaced over the years. I have cleaned and resealed them
every year but they all look like hell after 10 years of Carolina sun, salt
& humidity. I have redone the front and back stairs (elevated house so lots
of steps) with the brand of composite boards sold by Lowes. I like the looks
and the ones I installed last year look great i.e. no mold or algae. Yes it
is certainly more expensive than treated pine but was less than exotic
hardwood that wears well but still has to be stained and sealed. I will say
this, the plastic composite boards get REALLY hot in the sun, so no bare
feet need apply. Of course this may explain why the mold/algae hasn't gotten
a foothold.
   Lastly, I'm a big into recycling so I felt the need to be a consumer of a
recycled product.

Charlie