Re: [OM] you can run but not hide !

Subject: Re: [OM] you can run but not hide !
From: Chris Barker <ftog@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2011 22:18:55 +0100
It's a lot of work to make work correctly, Chuck.  The faces might or might be
recognisable to the software, and you are then landed with the job of checking
it.

For something like your own collection of photos, that's no problem, but for
all the information that a crowd of several thousand?  And that's only one
picture.  It's too much data, too unreliable, for little potential gain.

I've watched the Intelligence people in quite a large room at work with too
much information; nothing gets done, little is achieved, except by guesswork or
by plain hard graft.  I don't believe in the power of technology when it comes
to sorting people.  Even objects are pretty difficult to recognise with
satellite pictures; slant EO imagery is more reliable in its capability.

I remember Walt, years ago, being hugely excited by the capability of some
smart weapon; but he forgot that the weaponry needs smart people to make it
work properly and to find an appropriate target, then to input the right data.
My scepticism about that weapon matches mine about the use of technology on
sorting the information derivable from images.

Chris