Re: [OM] IMG: Earthquake in Lorca -- the aftermath

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Earthquake in Lorca -- the aftermath
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2011 00:25:07 +1200
Carlos wrote;
> Two months after the earthquake in Lorca, Spain (I think some of you heard
> about it) I briefly went there with some friends... life goes on, but
> _something_ definitely happened there.
>
> I took some pictures of the visible damage on buildings:
>
> <http://www.flickr.com/photos/zuiko21/sets/72157627116746095/>
>
> (Lumix GF1 + 14/2.5

I'm glad that the damage was so little. Were any people hurt?
Have the quakes ceased, do you think?
Will this quake have any impact on the building codes?

I bought a book published by The Press (v. good Christchurch daily paper),
with stats as at 31 May.

Since 4 September 2010 ...

182 people killed (22 Feb)
21 quakes > magnitude 5
247 > magnitude 4
6,016 quakes detected
Distance between Rolleston and Kaiapoi increased by 3 metres
Port Hills 40 cm higher
327 buildings demolished (many more since)
376,000 tonnes of liquefaction (sand and silt) removed from lowlying areas.
5,548 (crushed I think, but maybe not) vehicles removed from Central
Business District.

The international re-insurance business has nearly quit for Christchurch.
There has never been such an incidence of continuing shocks and new
damage.

Brian Swale.