Re: [OM] olympus Digest, Vol 33, Issue 21

Subject: Re: [OM] olympus Digest, Vol 33, Issue 21
From: "Sawyer, Edward" <Ed.Sawyer@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2011 15:04:45 +0000

On 7/21/11 6:16 AM, "olympus-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx"
<olympus-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> the iPad does NOT support JPEG2000 images. On what planet is Apple on?
> I can understand Flash content (although that is another sore topic),
> but the JPEG2000 issue is one of those things that sneeks up on you
> and bites you on the dark side.

http://indesignsecrets.com/lost-images-in-the-pdf-on-your-ipad-or-iphone.php

Adobe surely shares at least half or more of the blame, since they are the
ones that developed PDF standards, and are the ones that probably do the
jpeg2000 compression behind the scenes without directly calling it out.

Basically there are workarounds, but involve resaving the PDF:

http://www.goodreader.net/gr-man-trouble.html#pdfjpeg2000

(goodreader sounds like a good app for PDFs in general, btw).

> The lack of a proper USB port is really the one thing that chaffes my
> britches,

With the camera kit, you have USB.  Besides, the connector shape and profile
wouldn't easily fit seamlessly into the Ipad(2) form factor. It's too thin
and curved.

 That and the fact iTunes has to be about the most miserable
> device management/interface software ever created.

Hardly.  I've seen much worse. Granted, it's grown beyond it's original
concept and is a little cumbersome, but overall it could be a whole lot
worse.

Install openSSH and/or other management systems and move files around
directly if you want.

>We continue to buy them by
> the millions and that only enforces the fact that Apple made the right
> decision.

Of course they did.

>They've proven that they can give us a worthless piece of
> junk,

Yet you still own one... Can't be that  worthless.

>but if you make it shiny enough and pretty enough and easy
> enough for SOME things, that we'll buy every one they build.

And the better tablet option would be.... ?  Oh Yeah, that's right, the rest
suck.... There are no better options.

-Ed