[OM] Free Software Vs the world (WAS Re: olympus Digest, Vol 33, Issue

Subject: [OM] Free Software Vs the world (WAS Re: olympus Digest, Vol 33, Issue 21)
From: David Thatcher <davidt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2011 16:19:13 +0930
Hi Nathan,

Based on figures from that article, there would be no software available
for Macs either. I'd suggest that Linux is far more prevalent than that
article shows, I know several people that have bought macbooks (because
they like the formfactor) that have some variant of Linux installed
instead of the apple OS. Apparently this is fairly common.  7 of the HP
desktops (out of 12) at work were shipped with XP but run UNIX/Linux. 6
laptops & netbooks (out of 9) originally shipped with windows are also
running UNIX/Linux. Admittedly, we are technical users so our stats lean
the other way to the average.

That said, one needs to look at the flipside and google 'hackintosh'.

Horses for courses - of course. If you're locked into the products and
need 100% compatibility for every last little bell and whistle, you're
locked in- simple as that, despite what the open document standards say.
I can settle for the 99.5% compatibility to save the $ (I can buy into
the home program from work for my own w7 machine, but there are 3 other
PCs that would need to be bought at retail).

That an Apple afoniciado would call an open source user's attitude
'elitist' broke my irony meter. :) A real belly laugh!

davidt