Re: [OM] prius

Subject: Re: [OM] prius
From: Charles Geilfuss <charles.geilfuss@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2011 10:23:11 -0400
  More like 10-15 Kg. lanthanum:

 A sealed <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seal_%28mechanical%29> 38-module nickel
metal hydride <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nickel_metal_hydride> (NiMH)
battery <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rechargeable_battery> pack providing
273.6 volts, 6.5 A·h capacity and weighing 53.3 kg (118
lb)[70]<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prius#cite_note-cgcc-69>is
supplied by Japan's Panasonic
EV Energy Co <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panasonic_EV_Energy_Co>. They are
normally charged to 40–60% of maximum capacity to prolong battery life as
well as provide a reserve for regenerative braking. Each battery pack uses
10–15 kg (22–33 lb) of lanthanum <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lanthanum>.
As each electric motor in Prius also contains 1 kg (2 lb) of
neodymium<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neodymium>,
the car is described as "the biggest user of rare earths of any object in
the world".[71] <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prius#cite_note-70>, although
neodymium is no rarer than copper or nickel.
Charlie