Re: [OM] theoretical apple trojan.

Subject: Re: [OM] theoretical apple trojan.
From: David Thatcher <davidt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2011 08:00:21 +0930
On Mon, Jul 25, 2011 at 01:58:33PM +0000, Sawyer, Edward wrote:
> I trust Apple a lot more than any other operating system manufacturer, to
> not do evil things. That includes google.
>
> FWIW
> -Ed

To illustrate the evil that can be inspired by the pursuit of corporate
wealth... the amount of data mining by the 'big G' that goes on is just
incredible.

I was setting up & testing some web filtering for a client,  I
mistakenly blocked a class of websites that contained the
g00gle-analytics URLs. 90% of their people were immediately & completely
stopped from surfing the web, even local intranet pages. The users that
could still browse did not have the g00gle search t00lbar installed.
Out of interest, I will have to download their browser offering (chr0me)
& see if it behaves the same way 'out of the box'. I note that their
browser offering IS available for linux & UNIX, too.

It's interesting that a LOT of the 'free' add-on software from
commercial companies e.g. acrobat reader,  is downloaded with the g00gle
t00lbar by default (i.e. unless you spoecifically turn it off).

What do they do with this data? they tailor your search results (and the
ads on the right) based on your previous searches, and those of similar
browsing habits.

Yet another example of the result of data mining: ever wonder how that
delightful young lady in the little  window on the right -that is
looking for YOU- just happens to be from the next suburb. :)

davidt