Re: [OM] (OM) Resolution question

Subject: Re: [OM] (OM) Resolution question
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2011 01:04:59 +1200
Thanks, Moose, for your excellent explanation.

Use what ever buzz-words you like; but you were on the same page; at the
same wave-length,  singing from the same hymn sheet, as me.

What I was trying to get across but apparently failed to do, is that Yes, I
understand that digital images need sharpening, and sometimes other
enhancements as well, depending on the desired outcome.  BUT there has
to be a start-point, and for me I prefer to start with an as near to unaltered
image out of the camera, doing all post-processing later.  That way, if post-
processing goes awry, you can go back to the neutral beginning.

It looks as though I have made a less-than-optimal choice for camera;
however, for the foreseeable future that is the bed I must lie in.

The http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/olympuse3/page32.asp  was very
telling.  As far as I know I had not seen it before now.

Interesting that they came to the same conclusion as me; no advantage in
using RAW if the only goal you have is to make an image seem sharper.

In the page Olympus E-3 Pixel Level Resolution, what do the numbers in the
boxes represent?

Did you make any changes to saturation / hue?

I'm pretty happy with the demonstration; when you realise that the diameter
of many of those smaller twigs situated some 400 yards - metres distant is
approximately 0.5 - 1 cm; 1/4 - 1/3 inch, the best sharpness showed them
individually pretty well.

I have saved the images and file code for future study :-)  Thanks.

It's well after midnight as I write this ( I have the world to myself at this
hour -
I love it), but I'm going to research anti-aliasing filters some other time.
Probably can't do anything about it anyway.

Chuck, thanks for your interest, but on this occasion, Moose was right on
the button. (I hate buzz-words - and have used 4 in this posting!)

The series of images I came up with were a complete surprise. Didn't expect
the subject to be like that, on that day.

As the saying goes "you had to be there". "f/8 and don't be late."

Brian Swale.