Re: [OM] (OM) Resolution question

Subject: Re: [OM] (OM) Resolution question
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2011 10:55:28 -0500
Since the Moose just HAD to bring it up--referencing Dpreview's
comparison of the Panasonic L10 to the Olympus, using supposably the
same chip, I'll have to pipe in here too.

We did very careful comparison of my lowly DMC-L1 to the E3 last year.
Using every trick in the book to maximize detail-extraction (sometimes
referred to as resolution, but not necessarily the same exact thing,
we found that the L1's 7.5MP sensor produced almost identical results
as the E-3's 10MP sensor. In some cases better, in some cases slighly
less.

Dpreview also mentioned in the DMC-L1 review how it outperformed the
E-330 with the same sensor.

In-camera processing? Well, of the data stream prior to the writing of
the RAW file, sure. But using the same raw converters, the Panasonic
always allowed for greater effective resolution or detail extraction.

When using best-practices in all possible regards, the DMC-L1 gives me
about twice the effective resolution of the E-1. However, under normal
photographic practices, the playing field is greatly leveled, and even
the E-1 holds its own against cameras of far greater pixel counts.
There are tons of resolution-robbing issues besides pixel counts.
Camera/subject motion, mis-focus, defraction, noise-reduction,
raw-conversion methods, and a myriad of other things give me greater
fits than pixel counts.

AG