Re: [OM] Newport Transporter Bridge.

Subject: Re: [OM] Newport Transporter Bridge.
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2011 18:21:04 -0400
Sorry, I can't answer that one either.  Maybe it's just the designer's
flair but I suspect it has some function.

To me the most amazing design point is the exploitation of Archimedes'
principle of buoyancy.  I was wondering how the wheel managed to stay
balanced with different size boats carrying potentially much different
loads.  The answer is from Archimedes' principle of buoyancy.  The pans
that carry the boats are initially filled to their brims with water.
When a boat enters the pan it displaces an amount of water equal to its
own weight.  Therefore, no matter the size and weight of the different
boats the wheel is always balanced.

Chuck Norcutt