Re: [OM] OT) OPR restoration

Subject: Re: [OM] OT) OPR restoration
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2011 21:20:32 -0700
On 7/27/2011 8:42 PM, Paul Laughlin wrote:
> I have got to figure out how you do that.  Making them look better, I mean.
> Nicely done.

Thanks! I just treated the undamaged part as I would any image that's soft,
with poor edge contrast, etc. and masked it
to sit over the restored parts. I used NeatImage and FocusMagic to gt some
better definition in the faces, did some
spotting. I then did usual portrait work, toning down bright reflections (like
on the end of dad's nose), softening
creases, etc.

I wish I could tell you how I did her forehead. There was selection, color
matching to the lower face, blurring, both
overall and hand painted and dodging/burning. Came out pretty darn well,
though. :-)

> A painter, I am not.  I was not happy with the hands at all.
> As far as cropping, I considered it, but the guidlines say restoration
> only.  And after Chuck got his wrist slapped for enhancing an image, I
> decided to leave it intact. LOL

Well, I am just playing around. I know nothing about any guidelines. I do think
those folks look a lot better and would
appreciate that.

> I did the white balance thing in ACR and should have used levels.
> Definitely not auto, which I used here.

Whatever you used, it effectively changed dad's face dramatically, which looks
wrong to me. I do only the absolute
minimum necessary in ACR, and save all the fancy stuff for PS.

> Not only that, but ACR changes the ppi and the guidelines want that
> unchanged, too.  On this one, I was told to resize it for the printers. I use
> Qimage to print and don't pay much attention to ppi.

ppi is meaningless until printing. Then one just adjusts it in Image=>Image
Size, setting Resample off and ppi to what
they want, which then determines print size, or size to the desired print size,
when then determines ppi.

> I really was not prepared for the degree of damage that was there. LOL
> Am working on learning how to use channels, both RGB and LAB to bring
> out detail in the damage.
> Thanks for taking the time.

It was fun. You had already done the part I think is hard.

Moose