Re: [OM] IMG: Two More from the Airport

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Two More from the Airport
From: Paul Laughlin <pelaughlin@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2011 15:52:44 -0700
Nice image, Jim.  I always enjoy images of the DC-3/C-47.  I had a bit
of history, working on the C-47 and as a passenger on them.  In '48, the
Berlin Airlift took all of the larger transport aircraft such as the
C-54 and they set up C=47s to fly the transcontinental passenger run for
MATS.  The MATS detachment at Patterson AFB was the outfit responsible
for that run.  I was assigned there as a radio mechanic.  I even helped
hand crank on of those engines, one time.  Then  later, in '58, I was
assigned to the B-58 Test Force at Carswell AFB.  The Test Force
Commander's plane was a C-47 and when I first signed in, it was the only
aircraft the Test Force had.  With a number of aircraft mechanic
assigned with nothing to work on, that old bird was the most highly
polished Gooney Bird in the Air Force.  It was appropiately named
"Husler's Mother".  And then in the mid '60s I was assigned to the base
hospital at Torrejon AB a Madrid, Spain.  Had to travel between the USAF
bases in Spain and the shuttle was a C-47.  Great memories.  Although,
in Spain, I would have traveled by private owned vehicle.LOL  Sorry for
the rambling on.
Paul in Portland OR