Re: [OM] [OT] Win XP networking advice needed

Subject: Re: [OM] [OT] Win XP networking advice needed
From: WayneS <olympus@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 30 Jul 2011 08:31:40 -0400
At 7/29/2011 10:58 PM, you wrote:
>The laptop isn't attaching to a neighbor's wifi connection, is it?
>
>AG

Yes, was the laptop used for internet access during the trip?

On the local machine command prompt, some network commands I have found helpful:

netstat -n

will show all the active connections.

route print

will show the routing table.

arp -a

will show IP to network adapter tables (IP to MAC address). When you ping
another machine, it first goes to the gateway to resolve the IP to MAC address,
then sends the message to that mac address.

ipconfig/all

shows all the network settings.

Printouts of some of these commands would be helpful.

Win 7 to XP file sharing always was a chore to debug, but in Win xp I always
check certain settings. Right click on My Computer and click manage... or
better from Start menu type gpedit.msc. I'm on Win 7 so may be different on xp,
but go to windows settings>Local Policies>Security Options and check the
network settings:

In particular, I always have Network Access: Sharing and Security model for
local accounts > Classic - local users authenticate as themselves, but that
means there has to be a user account on each machine. Guest account access is
often limited.

Were any user login passwords changed? Most MS updates rarely change these
security settings, but it is possible.

However, you are saying nothing has changed except the new printer on the
network, hence the question was the laptop used to connect while traveling?

I always shut off the firewall to debug until things get working, then turn
back on later to see if it breaks.

And as mentioned, you can try to share a drive using the IP address. Name
resolution can sometimes be hit or miss, depending on Netbios, but the
\\IP\share David suggested should get around the name resolution issue. If that
does not work, then check the if the login name/password has changed.

When you got the new printer, I'm surprised it was not directly connected to
the network rather than being shared through the desktop machine.

Wayne