Re: [OM] (OT) XP Printer advice.

Subject: Re: [OM] (OT) XP Printer advice.
From: Chris Barker <ftog@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 31 Jul 2011 14:00:27 +0100
Chuck

I should suspect the IP addresses.  Perhaps the DHCP is being run by more than
one entity, or perhaps the subnet mask is wrong on one.  It's possible for the
gateway to address different subnet masks, I suspect, but not possible for one
entity on the network to find the other if it's wrong.

If that were the case, you would have to stop DHCP on all the network entities
except for the gateway.  If using DHCP does not then allocate proper addresses
for each entity you would have to enter at least one of them manually.

I had a similar problem with a Vista/Mac network trying to print to a Canon
network laser.  The IP address of the printer kept changing, presumably because
of the gateway's activities.  Upgrading to a W7 computer, replacing the agéd
Vista computer (around 6 years old), seems to have solved the problem.  But I
won't buy a Canon network printer again: the support is pretty flawed.

Chris
(praying fervently that he hasn't written bo&&ox)