Re: [OM] (OT) XP Printer advice.

Subject: Re: [OM] (OT) XP Printer advice.
From: Michael Collins <MRC.OlympusList@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 31 Jul 2011 10:54:50 -0400
On 7/31/11 10:19 AM, Chuck Norcutt wrote:

> Turning the firewall off on both machines makes no difference to
> anything.  Trying to map drives elicits exactly the same similar but
> different responses.  Trying to ping from one to the other also has
> exactly the same results.
>
> *I asked this yesterday I think.  Is there perhaps a big clue in the
> failure of the laptop to ping the desktop?  Is this not LAN adapter to
> LAN adapter via the router with no or at least minimal involvement of
> the OS?*

I'd say so, although the firewall can certainly get in the way of the
"minimal involvement of the OS". The ability to ping the other machine is
pretty fundamental at the TCP/IP level, and I think this is a significant
clue. Whether it's the sending computer's ICMP packets not going out, the
receiving computer not allowing them in or not sending the response out, or
the sending computer not allowing the response in is unknown. IMHO you
shouldn't be looking elsewhere until you resolve this.

Can you ping them from your router? Some routers offer this feature. Or do
you have another system on the LAN that you can ping to/from? Either would
help you identify the likely culprit, though not the cause.

Someone has suggest "sniffing" the LAN traffic, I think. The tool to use is
Wireshark. I have it on several of my systems, but not on my XP laptop; I'll
see if I can get it set up later today, if you're not already familiar with
it.

Michael