Re: [OM] (OT) XP Printer advice.

Subject: Re: [OM] (OT) XP Printer advice.
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 31 Jul 2011 21:14:11 -0400
Yes, I disabled both Windows firewalls to no effect.  And, of course,
the Windows firewalls had no part in the Linux test which also showed no
difference from the Windows test.

I think I have a crossover cable somewhere around here but I'll be hard
pressed to find it.

I did suddenly realize sometime today that the wireless adapter is a
separate piece of hardware from the Ethernet adapter.  So I did try the
wireless connection... with exactly the same results as the wired
connection.

Chuck Norcutt

On 7/31/2011 8:41 PM, pschings@xxxxxxx wrote:
> The problem does sound like the router, since I think you said you
> had already ruled out the firewalls. If you have a crossover cable or
> a passive hub you might want to try a direct connection between the
> desktop and laptop. I also don't recall if you tried the laptop's
> wifi interface.
>
> -original message- Subject: Re: [OM] (OT) XP Printer advice. From:
> Chuck Norcutt<chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> Date: 07/31/2011 20:26
>
> The router has been running for 4 years with the same configuration.
> It has a firewall but the purpose of the firewall is to hide the LAN
> from the WAN.  It shouldn't be involved in this problem and in any
> case it's configured the same as it always was (I just checked it
> again).
>
> Chuck Norcutt
>

> On 7/31/2011 7:26 PM, C.H.Ling wrote:
>> I don't know if this help, my case was I had no problem to
>> communicate between all computers (all XP SP3) but my movie box
>> (wired) could not access the folder of other computers (it was able
>> to connect to the internet). The problem was solved by disabled the
>> "SPI Firewall Protection" in the router.
>>
>> At the mean time all computers are having their firewall turned
>> on.
>>
>> For wireless connection there is also an AP Isolation feature on
>> the router, this should be disabled if your laptop has to
>> communicate with other computers connected to the same routers.
>>
>> C.H.Ling
>>
>> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Chuck
>> Norcutt"<chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> To: "Olympus Camera
>> Discussion"<olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> Sent: Sunday, July 31, 2011
>> 11:58 PM Subject: Re: [OM] (OT) XP Printer advice.
>>

>>> Thanks.  Unfortunately, I can't seem to find any way to direct
>>> the router to ping the computers directly.  However, it would
>>> seem to me that the computers are communicating with the router
>>> since they can resolve the IP addresses using just the computer's
>>> names in a ping command.  It's just that running the ping on the
>>> laptop against the desktop fails after properly resolving the
>>> desktop's IP address.
>>>
>>> I was just wishing I had a third computer to attach to the local
>>> net. That would at least tell me if the problem is in the laptop
>>> which is where I suspect it is.  It's the only thing that's
>>> perhaps had "unknown" configuration changes.  The only changes to
>>> the desktop were the uninstall of the old Brother laser printer
>>> and the installation of the new one in its place.  The printer
>>> works fine from the desktop where it's physically installed.
>>>
>>> Chuck Norcutt

>>> --
>>> Archives: