Re: [OM] (OT) XP Printer advice.

Subject: Re: [OM] (OT) XP Printer advice.
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 01 Aug 2011 12:22:26 -0400

On 8/1/2011 9:57 AM, Ken Norton wrote:
> OK, I've been ponderign this a little bit. Sorry, maybe too little as you'll
> soon see....
>
> 1. Wireshark. This program is your friend. Use it, love it, and save
> yourself a ton of grief. You can see all the packet flow with it.

I may get there eventually but I'm unlikely to understand all the packet
flow so this will be a last resort.

> 2. If I recall correctly, this isn't your first dance with the laptop and
> the router. Youv'e had issues before.

Either you or I don't recall correctly.  I had a problem once trying to
figure out how to keep the laptop from prompting for user id and
password when connecting to the net.  That's a bizarre (Win XP only?)
use of the "guest" account which I had disabled but shouldn't have.
There are two levels of disabling the guest account.  I did both which
is a no-no... at least on XP.

> 3. Why use static IP addressing? Unless you are using something really
> legacy (Windows 98) on a machine, you should be able to let it just
> automatically pull an address from the DHCP server. One mistake many people
> make is manually setting the IP address of a host (computer) to an dynamic
> address. When you attach another host device to the network, you can end up
> with a conflict. Nearly everything these days, including network printers,
> are designed to work with DHCP. Static IP addressing gains you essentially
> nothing and should be used ONLY if DHCP doesn't function for a given device
> and ONLY for that device.

Why do you think I'm using static IP addressing?  I'm getting whatever
the router assigns according to its default configuration.

> 4. The Ethernet cable to the laptop may be bad.

Maybe.  But if so why does it talk flawlessly to the internet?

> 5. Let's double check which ports on the router you are plugged into. There
> is one uplink port which connects to the DSL modem. Then there are probably
> four or eight ports for the computers (hosts) to attach.

The ports used on the router had never changed until much later when I
started futzing with the router.  Then I swapped a couple of computer's
cables between the 4 ports available for such.  The cable modem has
never been disconnected from its own port.

> 6. Double check that you don't have a DMZ setup on one of the ports or IP
> addresses. This would place that device on the outside of the firewall,
> which explains why you can ping the router, but not the other computer and
> why the other computer can ping this one.

I have no idea what this means or how it could have happened since no
configuration changes have ever been made to the router.  Apart from
used id and password and occasionally turning the radio off or on the
router has always been in its default configuration.  I don't know
enough to touch anything else except maybe encryption which I haven't
bothered with since the radio is hardly ever turned on.

> 7. You have turned the WiFi OFF on the laptop, right? If it's still on AND
> plugged in, you are probably actually connected to two different networks.
> It is responding to pings from the other computer, but when pinging from the
> laptop, the preferred path is through the WiFi connection which may be
> coming from your neighbor's router.

Yes, I disconnect the adapter's cable when I enable the radio.  I don't
run both at the same time.

Chuck Norcutt